Monday, May 5, 2014

Reflection Essay

 My biggest struggle during this project was working together as a team. We have a lot of type A girls in this group and so the power struggle was constant.The aspect of this documentary I am most proud of is the finished project. I think it looks amazing. The aspect of this documentary that I would have changed would be some of the photos. I think we should have gotten a lot more b-roll. I was personally responsible for interviews. But also this whole project was really a group effort. We all worked together. Everyone contributed to each aspect of the project. It made everything so much easier.  As I said previously our group had a lot of power issues. In high school we were the girls people cheated off of and hoped that we would just do the whole project. However this is college not high school and it was hard to transition from that. It took us a few weeks to realize what we could count on each other and we could work as a team. I honestly believe that everyone put their full true effort into this. I am so proud of the way each person took time out of their daily lives to meet and discuss our next move.
The class: I think this class did help improve my critical thinking skills for two reasons. The first is that I had never made a documentary in my life so learning how to edit and film was huge. The second was trying to figure out how we wanted the end result of our documentary to look. We all had different visions but in the end I think all of our visions were made into one. Now in all honesty I don't think that any student would rather write 4 essays than learn new technology. I am really happy that we worked so much in the depot downstairs in the library. Everyone can write as essay but not everyone can edit a green screen or cut out scenes and add music. That is a skill only learned if wanted. In all honesty Owen you're an amazing professor. (and no I'm not just saying that because you're from the best state in the country.) You don't treat us like kids. You relate to us, talk the way that we do, etc. I would much rather have you as a professor than an 80 year old man who smells like old tobacco and just moans on about chemistry. I liked that you handed us the key to our own project and our own fate. I liked not having homework but in all reality we kinda still did. This project was a daily piece of homework that had to be worked on or we would have been screwed.
What you could do to make this class better? Simple. Bring tacos. I'm telling you your future class will be so happy that you brought tacos instead of pizza. But on a serious note you really couldn't make this class better than it already is. Why mess with perfection? But if I had a gun to my head and had to change something about the class I think it would have been that you could show more example documentaries. It was really helpful to see previously made student examples. But I also love movie days so it's really a win win for everyone.
BTW
Thanks for everything. Every student you have is lucky to have you as their professor.


No comments:

Post a Comment